SINGLE TICK ✓ - A Mystery Chat

 

SINGLE TICK ✓

A Mystery Chat



1: The Nightmare Begins

Chat: Surya | Time: 11:04 PM – 11:10 PM

[23:04] Surya: Diya. 🕊️

[23:04] Surya: Diya please tell me you're awake. 🥺

[23:05] Diya: barely. why? what's up? 🦉

[23:05] Surya: I'm stuck. 🕸️

[23:05] Surya: I feel like I'm suffocating but I'm still breathing. 💨😶

[23:06] Surya: I want to wake up. I need to wake up and I can't. 😫🛑

[23:06] Diya: wait what? are you having a nightmare?

[23:07] Diya: just open your eyes silly. you're probably just dreaming that you're texting me. 😜

[23:07] Surya: No. That's the thing. 🚫

[23:07] Surya: I'm asleep. I can feel my body heavy on the bed. My eyes are closed. 🌑

[23:08] Surya: Diya, my hands aren't moving. 🤚🚫

[23:08] Surya: I don't know how I'm sending this. I'm not even touching the phone. 🫥🤳

[23:09] Diya: okay haha very funny surya. 😂

[23:09] Diya: i'm not even touching the phone... then how did the blue ticks appear? 🤨✅✅

[23:10] Surya: I'm not joking. 🚫🤡

 

 


 

2: The Physical Disconnect

Chat: Surya | Time: 11:14 PM – 11:23 PM

[23:14] Surya: Diya please. Don't mute me. Don't leave me here like this. 🥺

[23:15] Diya: surya you're actually starting to freak me out now. if you're not joking, just pick up the phone and call me. 📞

[23:15] Surya: I can't. I told you, I can't move my arms. I can't even reach for it. 🦾🚫

[23:18] Surya: Call someone to come check on me. I'm alone in the house, you know that. 🏠

[23:19] Diya: fine! i'm calling you right now. pick up and stop this. 😤

--- [Status] Voice call - Unavailable 📵 ---

[23:21] Diya: Surya, your network says you're 'Out of Coverage.' How is that even possible if you're sending me messages?? 📶❌

[23:21] Diya: I tried calling you on WhatsApp too and it's making this weird glitchy sound. 😵‍💫

[23:22] Surya: I didn't hear anything. No ringtone, no vibration. Nothing. 🔇

[23:22] Surya: I told you. I'm not at my phone. 🫥


 

3: Reaching Out to Rahul

Chat: Diya | Time: 11:23 PM – 11:29 PM

[23:23] Diya: okay don't panic. stay with me. 🧘‍♀️

[23:23] Diya: i'm going to call Rahul. he's at that PG around the corner from you, right? 📍

[23:24] Diya: wait, i think i might have his number somewhere... let me look.

[23:25] Surya: Please hurry. ⏳

[23:26] Diya: found it! calling him right now. stay on the chat surya, don't go anywhere. 📱🏃‍♀️

--- [Status] Context: Rahul's Previous Chat (21:28) ---

[21:28] Rahul: just finished. 🥘

[21:29] Diya: sameee. so full. 🤰

[21:30] Rahul: what u drinking?? 🍹

[21:31] Diya: mocktail best thing ever. ✨

[21:32] Rahul: haha fancy. u studying?

[21:32] Diya: trying to. psych is killing me 📚🤯

--- [Status] Current Time: 23:28 ---

[23:28] Diya: RAHUL. 🔊

--- [Status] Outgoing Call - No answer 📵 ---

[23:29] Diya: please pick up. it's urgent. 🚨

[23:29] Diya: call me the SECOND you see this. please. it's about Surya. 📲🚨

 


 

4: Authentication

Chat: Diya | Time: 11:35 PM – 11:45 PM

[23:35] Diya: surya... listen. i need to be sure about something. 🧐

[23:36] Diya: i need to know this is actually YOU. if you can't move your hands, then how are you typing? 🤨

[23:37] Surya: You think I'm faking this? 😤

[23:37] Surya: I picked you up at 6:30 today from your PG on my bike. You were wearing that yellow kurta. 🛵💛

[23:38] Surya: We went to The Biryani Life and you complained that the spice level was too low. 🥘🌶️

[23:38] Surya: Then we went to Frozen Bottle for those mocktails because you said you needed something 'aesthetic.' 🍹📸

[23:41] Diya: okay. fine. you remember tonight. ✅

[23:41] Diya: but anyone could have seen us at the juice shop. if you're really him, tell me what happened during the first-week orientation in the auditorium. 🏫

[23:42] Diya: what did we find under that loose bench?

[23:43] Surya: It wasn't a floorboard. It was a gap in the old wooden bench. 🪟

[23:44] Surya: We found that silver anklet. We hid it in the chemistry lab locker 42. 🧪🕵️‍♂️

[23:44] Surya: We called it our 'First College Mystery.' 🔍🗄️

[23:45] Surya: Diya... the screen. It's getting dim. I'm losing the words. 🌑📉

 


 

5: The Rescue Begins

Chat: Rahul | Time: 11:46 PM – 11:50 PM

[23:46] Rahul: Hey! Just saw this. What's up? 👋

[23:47] Diya: Surya is sick. Like, really weirdly sick. 🤒😵‍💫

[23:47] Diya: He's alone at his place and he can't move. He's texting me but says he's paralyzed. 🛌🚫

[23:48] Diya: PLEASE go check on him right now. Run. 🏃‍♂️💨

[23:48] Rahul: Wait, what? Paralyzed? 😲

[23:49] Diya: HE IS NOT JOKING RAHUL. JUST GO. 🚨🛑

[23:49] Rahul: I know how to get into his house even if it is locked. I will go immediately. 🔑🏃‍♂️

 


 

6: Silence and Discovery

Chat: Diya | Time: 11:50 PM – 11:58 PM

[23:50] Diya: surya! i got through to rahul. 📢

[23:50] Diya: he's heading to your place right now. 🏃‍♂️⚡

[23:52] Surya: Thank god. 🙌

[23:53] Surya: I'm trying to keep my eyes open but it feels like someone is pressing down on my eyelids. 🌑😫

[23:55] Surya: Mint... and those tiny black seeds. 🌿🍋

[23:57] Diya: surya? 🤔

[23:58] Diya: rahul is almost there. just stay awake. surya!! 🚨🛑

 


 

7: Inside the House

Chat: Rahul | Time: 12:05 AM – 12:20 AM

[00:05] Rahul: Okay, I'm in. Had to use the kitchen window trick. 🪟🏃‍♂️

[00:06] Rahul: Dude is totally fine. He's just in a sound sleep. 😴

[00:06] Diya: rahul this isn't funny. check him properly. wake him up. now. 😤💢

[00:08] Rahul: I'm trying! I'm shaking his shoulder right now. He's out cold. 🛌😵‍💫

[00:09] Diya: Check his pulse. And where is his phone?? Is he holding it?? 🫨

[00:11] Rahul: That's the weird part. His phone is on the study table across the room. 📱🏚️

[00:12] Rahul: Diya, there's no way he was texting you. His hands are tucked under his pillow. 🛌🤲

[00:13] Diya: i don't care. shake him! and unlock his phone and check the chat. 📲🚨

[00:15] Rahul: okay okay. i'm trying to wake him up. he's still not budging. 🫨

[00:16] Rahul: let me try to get into the phone. i think i know his pattern. hold on. 🔓

[00:18] Rahul: wait. i just heard something. it sounded like a heavy thud from outside. 🔊

[00:20] Rahul: stay on the line. i'm going to peek through the window. i'll be right back. 🪟

 


 

8: Escalating Chaos

Chat: Rahul | Time: 12:21 AM – 12:28 AM

[00:21] Rahul: Wait, it's not just one person. There's a noise coming from the road. 🔊🛣️

[00:22] Rahul: It sounds like a crowd. I can hear people shouting and bikes pulling up. 🗣️👣

[00:24] Rahul: Diya, I'm looking out the balcony now. There are at least 20 people gathered near the corner shop. 🏪

[00:25] Rahul: They're pointing at something on the ground. Someone is calling for an ambulance. I need to see what's going on. 🚑🚨

[00:26] Diya: RAHUL NO. Don't leave him. 🚨🛑

[00:26] Diya: Wait... something is happening here too. 😳

[00:27] Diya: I'm in the corridor. My roommate just screamed like she saw a ghost and ran out of the room. 😱👻

[00:27] Diya: Everyone is running toward the stairs. I can hear people crying in the other rooms. 😢🏃‍♀️

[00:28] Diya: RAHUL PICK UP. Why is everyone screaming?? 🏃‍♀️🔊😰

 


 

9: The Wake of the Realization

Chat: Rahul | Time: 04:02 AM – 04:22 AM

[04:02] Rahul: Diya. 😔🥀

[04:03] Rahul: It is not Surya. It is us. 🫥🥀

[04:05] Diya: i know. i'm watching the news now. it's everywhere. 📺😶

[04:06] Diya: yes, it is heart breaking 💔

[04:10] Rahul: I went back to my room, Diya. After the crowd at the shop ignored me... I just knew. 🛒🫥

[04:11] Rahul: Seeing myself there. It was so weird. I looked like I was just waiting for my alarm to go off. ⏰🫥

[04:12] Rahul: My roommate found me. The way he screamed... I wanted to tell him to stop, that I was standing right there. 🗣️❌

[04:14] Diya: same here. 😔

[04:15] Diya: my roommate ran out into the corridor screaming for help. 🏃‍♀️🔊

[04:16] Diya: i was just sitting at my desk, looking at my psych notes, thinking I had just woken up from a nap. 📚

[04:17] Diya: Then I looked back at the bed. I've never seen myself sleep before. I looked so pale. 🌑🏳️

[04:22] Rahul: I saw them put the white sheet over me. That was the hardest part. It's like they were erasing me. 🌫️📉

 


 

10: The Looming Grief

Chat: Rahul | Time: 04:35 AM – 04:56 AM

[04:35] Rahul: My dad called my phone a few minutes ago. I could see his name flashing on the screen. 📱💔

[04:36] Rahul: The police officer picked it up. Hearing a stranger's voice tell my dad to 'stay calm'... that was the worst sound I've ever heard. 🗣️📉

[04:38] Diya: i can't even look at my phone anymore. 📴

[04:39] Diya: my mom is already in a taxi. She's coming from the station. 🚕

[04:40] Diya: My mom keeps texting me: 'Diya, don't be scared, I'm almost there. Just hold on.' 🥀🥺

[04:41] Diya: Rahul, she's bringing the homemade snacks I asked for yesterday. 💔🥡

[04:44] Rahul: I wish I could just stand on the highway and tell them to turn back. To save them from having to see what's waiting here. 🛣️🚫

[04:48] Diya: we were supposed to go home next weekend. now they're coming here for this. 🚄🥀

[04:56] Diya: surya is the only hope they have left in this mess. 🕊️

 


 

11: The Corner Shop Mystery

Chat: Rahul | Time: 04:58 AM – 05:23 AM

[04:58] Rahul: I went back to the corner shop before I came back to the room. It was chaos. 🏪💥

[05:00] Rahul: I stood right in the middle of the crowd. No one saw me, so I just listened. 🫥👥

[05:05] Rahul: It wasn't the food. It was the watermelon. 🍉🚫

[05:06] Rahul: Apparently, the batch they got was pumped with some kind of industrial color dye and artificial sweeteners. 🧪💉

[05:07] Rahul: Some chemical reaction happened. It turned into a literal toxin. ☣️🤢

[05:10] Diya: That's what I had. And that's what I told you to get. 💔

[05:11] Diya: Oh god, Rahul. I'm the reason you went there. 😭

[05:13] Rahul: Hey, don't do that. I wanted it. I made the choice. 🛑

[05:14] Rahul: But the shop was so busy they were using the same blenders and knives for everything. 🔪🧽

[05:15] Rahul: The dye was on everything. The poison was trailing into every glass they poured. 🧪🍹

[05:22] Rahul: I saw the health inspectors taking samples. They were looking at the crates of fruit like they were looking at unexploded bombs. 💣🕵️‍♂️

 


 

12: The Perfect Storm

Chat: Rahul | Time: 05:25 AM – 05:47 AM

[05:25] Diya: Rahul, wait... I just remembered something..! 🫨

[05:26] Diya: I saw a post on WhatsApp a few days ago. I thought it was just one of those fake 'forwarded' warnings. 📲

[05:27] Diya: It was about a family that died after eating biryani and then having watermelon immediately after. 🥘+🍉=💀

[05:30] Rahul: Biryani? I had biryani for lunch yesterday. A heavy one. 🍛

[05:32] Rahul: And you and Surya had it for dinner right before the mocktails. 🍲🍹

[05:34] Diya: Exactly. Everyone else at the shop is just sick, but for us... it was like a timed explosion. 💣💥

[05:36] Diya: The fats from the biryani and that industrial dye... it explains why I felt so tired so fast. 📉

[05:39] Rahul: And I was on my bike, pushing my heart rate up. 🚴‍♂️📈

[05:40] Rahul: The 'biryani-watermelon' thing wasn't a myth for us. It was the perfect storm. 🌪️🌑

[05:41] Diya: THE DRINK! Surya ordered the Mint Lemon with chia seeds. 🌿🍋🥤

[05:42] Diya: He didn't want the watermelon. He said it looked 'too artificial.' That's probably why he's still fighting it. 🛡️🦾

[05:43] Rahul: Mint and lemon are natural detoxifiers. And those chia seeds probably acted like a sponge, soaking up whatever toxin was in the blender. 🧽🧬

[05:44] Diya: We're gone because of a dinner choice and a bad batch of fruit. 🍛🍉🥀

[05:45] Diya: All that studying, all those plans... ended by a mocktail. 🎓🍹🥀

 


 

13: The Network Reveal

Chat: Rahul | Time: 05:48 AM – 06:26 AM

[05:48] Rahul: Diya, I've been staring at the top of my phone for ten minutes. 🤨

[05:49] Rahul: My signal bars are full, but the carrier name... it changed. It doesn't say 'Airtel' anymore. 📶❌

[05:50] Rahul: It says 'DevLog'. I tried to Google it, but the browser just redirects to a page with a golden seal. What is going on?? 📱🌀

[05:52] Diya: i was going to tell you... i got a ping earlier. 🕊️

[05:53] Diya: It was Nisha. Remember her? The senior who passed away a few months ago? 🥀😔

[05:55] Rahul: Nisha? Wait… you mean she’s 'on the line' too? She’s been gone since last year. Are you saying she’s been using this 'DevLog' thing all this time? 🤯

[05:58] Diya: yeah. she messaged me just to console me. She's been watching over us since the mocktail thing happened. 🥺✨

[05:59] Diya: She explained everything. 'DevLog' isn't just a network, Rahul. It's the Interim Realm. The gateway between here and whatever comes next. 🏛️⚡

[06:02] Diya: She said the 'System' is actually in a massive crisis. Ever since COVID, the backlog of souls who died prematurely is huge. 📉☣️

[06:04] Diya: So they formed a 'Crisis Management Team.' They created this network so we can stay 'social.' 🤝📱

[06:06] Rahul: Nisha... I always felt so bad for her parents. But it feels like she’s really watching over us. 🤔

[06:07] Rahul: So they literally 'ported' our human lives into a cloud? All my old photos, my Spotify playlists, and our old chats are still here? ☁️🖼️🎧

[06:08] Diya: exactly. Nisha said they do it to keep us grounded. If souls are left alone in the dark with no memories and no one to talk to, they turn 'rogue.' 🧘‍♀️

[06:11] Diya: The DevLog network is basically a support group to keep us peaceful while we wait in the queue. 🕊️💬

[06:17] Diya: But the process takes time, Rahul. Right now, our families are starting the 14-day rituals on Earth—those are designed to slowly relieve our souls from earthly attachments. 🕯️🙏

[06:19] Diya: Until those 14 days are over, we are just logged in as guest users. Only after we are fully detached will DevLog issue us an official Sequence Number and assign our specific Waiting Period in the queue. 📝⏳

[06:20] Rahul: A waiting period? Like how long? 📝

[06:21] Diya: It depends on the backlog. For Nisha, she already has a 10-year waiting period in Earth time. 🗓️📉

[06:22] Diya: And here is the catch—you just wait in the DevLog system during that time. Only after your specific waiting period is completely over do the Supreme Leaders—the Trio—finally review your soul and decide if you go to Heaven or Hell. ⚖️🔥🌅

[06:23] Diya: If they send you to Hell after the wait, the DevLog signal disappears forever... there is no more chat. Just total darkness. 🌑🚫

[06:25] Rahul: So we have to survive the 14 days, get a number, wait for potentially a decade as digital college students, and then face the final judgment? 🎓🥀

[06:26] Rahul: At least we have the network. At least I have you to talk to. I couldn't handle this wait alone. 🤝🌑

 


 

14: The Final Anchor

Chat: Rahul | Time: 06:30 AM – 06:35 AM

[06:30] Diya: i hope surya is alright. 🥺

[06:31] Diya: I'm going to check his chat. I need to know he's still on the other side. 📱🕊️

[06:32] Rahul: let me know what you see. 🤞

[06:33] Rahul: he’s the only part of us that isn't on 'DevLog' yet. 📱🌀

--- [Status] Chat: Surya (Viewed by Diya) | Time: 06:36 AM ---

[06:36] Diya: Surya? Are you awake yet? 🕊️

--- [Status] Sent (Single Grey Tick) ✓ ---

[06:37] Diya: (to Rahul:) It’s still a single tick. 😭🙌

[06:38] Diya: He’s still 'Out of Coverage.' He’s still alive, Rahul. 🕊️🛡️

[06:39] Diya: His system fought it off. He’s not in the queue with us. 🛡️🦾

 


 

15: The Final Scene

Chat: Surya | Time: 06:45 AM – 06:48 AM

[06:45] Diya: Surya? Are you awake yet? 🕊️

--- [Status] Sent (Single Grey Tick) ✓ ---

[06:47] Diya: I wish you don't see this message ever. 🥀

[06:47] Diya: But if you do see this... just know we are still here for you. Always. 🤝✨

--- [Status] Sent (Single Grey Tick) ✓ ---

Diya stares at the screen, her thumb hovering over the glass. The silence of the Realms is absolute. She finds a strange comfort in that frozen, single tick, it is the only thing keeping Surya safe from the truth. Then, without warning, the screen flickers. Her heart or the memory of it stops. The message has been delivered. Surya's phone has reconnected to the network. The 'sound sleep' is over.

--- Status: Double Grey Tick (✓✓) 🌑💥 ---

 

Story By 
Madhan Krish

 

Preamble for Part 2: Double Tick ✓✓

"The delivery is only the beginning."

In the world of the living, a double tick means a message has reached its destination. In the DevLog system, it means a bridge has been built.

As the city wakes up to the news of the 'Watermelon Tragedy,' Surya wakes up in his own bed to a phone filled with messages from a world he isn't supposed to access. The toxin didn't take his life, but it left him with a 'glitch' in his perception.

While the families prepare for the 14-day rituals to sync Diya and Rahul into the system's queue, Surya realizes he can see more than just the text on his screen. He can see the 'DevLog' signal.

The second part of the story explores the 'Rogue Souls' mentioned by Nisha—those who refused to stay social and peaceful. As Surya tries to navigate his grief, he becomes the primary target for those who want to use his 'glitched' connection to break back into the real world.

The waitlist is long, but the hunger of the rogue souls is longer.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

நானாகிப் போன நீ!

Alive is Awesome!